Saturday 21 April 2012

Mid April Showers... And showers...

The red camellias have been and gone, but the white ones - Golden Anniversary - are out now nicely. This is one of the very few not spoiled by tea-coloured stains, brown wrinkled petals: I don't know why. It does seem that my soil is not right for these sorts of plants, which is a shame.  
 I sowed forget-me-nots (Myosotis sylvatica) as one of my first gardening efforts three years ago and they now come every year, which is great, because they're a really cheerful sight this time of year; of course, they're not perennial, so what I do is leave them as long as possible once they've stopped flowering to drop their seeds before pulling the dead plants up. This does mean that they spread around and I'm never sure how much will come up or exactly where. A very underrated flower though, a really cheerful sight!
 Bought these fritillaries (Fritillaria uva-vulpis) as bulbs last autumn and they've been lovely. Quite delicate, with small heads on slender stalks and leaves, they're not showy, but they've been in bloom for three or four weeks now, which is good value. They are a little over a foot tall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment